Monday, July 20, 2009

Week 3 -- Produsage & Cognitive Overload

Another exceptionally busy week.

Travel last weekend (end of week 2) and travel this weekend (end of week 3). This weekend I was presenting in San Diego -- travel Friday, 8 hour training Saturday, travel Sunday. Interspersed with Web 2.0 -- researching existing sites similar to proposed EMS site, learning platforms, reading ALL of Bruns (new stuff to me, so pretty stimulating), and then backtracking, backtracking to get Produsage up and running -- also had tyranny of the urgent with project for Dr. Shute and end-of-term assignment pile up for Stats. All this with weekly commute, flat tire, family crises, interesting interactions with IRS, and extra (unanticipated) EMS shift Thursday 2P to midnight.

CALGON -- take me away!

I'd like to see more open-ended discussion board. Although blogs are potentially interactive, I find that they are more monologues. I'd like more interaction with the "shared" knowledge base -- the assigned literature. Although outside references are always welcome, I am overwhelmed by links without discussion. That is, if a outside reference is linked, I'd like to see a summary/overview, lessons learned, take home message from the poster. Otherwise, it just falls in the pile of "more work for me" without any frame of reference to filter.

And we all know how important "filtering" is in this course. I am concerned that "filter" is just a euphemism for ignore, skip, scan and/or forget it. While filtering is absolutely essential for time-management and sanity, there needs to be some shared point of reference to really benefit from class interaction. Otherwise, we may as well have taken the course directed-study. It does feel this way at times with everyone running in different directions and few points of intersection. I do long to feel connected and learn from the multitude of perspectives and experiences here. Chasing them all down however is cumbersome. Just another symptom of the Web 2.0 experience?

PREVIEW: evaluating expertise, first impressions?

1 comment:

  1. Your week even makes me a little tired. Whoa! I agree with your comment about filtering. I have created a folder for all of the interesting links and articles that have been shared. Each time I bookmark one, I think about when I will ever go back and actually read them. It's not looking promising.

    ReplyDelete