Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Week 1 -- experience with Web 2.0

What have been your prior experiences with Web 2.0 technologies? Do you consider yourself a leader or follower in this realm, or something else altogether? Why? Also, discuss what you hope to get out of this class.

Sigh. I've had a devil of a time just formatting the blog. Frustrated that name and location were wrapped around pic. Looked up some basic html code from Keller's 5601 and then found great site for code -- http://www.htmlcodetutorial.com/quicklist.html

Sooo, to solve my first problem, I eliminated the pic and added it as a "gadget" -- who'd of thunk of a pic as a gadget -- maybe Maxwell Smart or Inspector Gadget. Not me, but it worked. Then, I didn't have to fiddle with the text anymore.

The other formatting problem was bio stuff all run together. I tried the paragraph code but it wasn't accepted. FYI the line break symbol used twice in a row works well. The break code is [too funny -- I typed in the code here and after publishing realized that the post doesn't SHOW the code, it performs the function -- so you just got a break and no code -- guess the code is top secret and cannot be posted -- check out the link instead]. Again -- I obviously don't even know the lingo -- symbol, code -- whatever -- it worked. Just a word to the less wise than me.

Sooo, prior experience, eh? Well, depends on how you define web 2.0. I've did go to college with an electric typewriter, took notes with a ball point -- just a little past the quill and ink generation. We did have a color TV before I finished grade school. And yes, I've been working on a computer since the early '80s -- post bachelor's degree.

By the time I returned for my master's, I enrolled in an online program and became quickly adept at opening multiple windows and tabs, doing online literature searches, negotiating Blackboard and even the FDA web labyrinth. As an instructor in distance courses, I've learned to record video and audio, compress files and multi-task. My PhD courses introduced me to synchronous web conferencing. In my work, I've participated in webinars.

As for the recent buzz -- blogs, wikis, tweets, rss feeds, and ... (best stop while I'm still treading water) -- I have next to zippo experience. (Did use a wiki for Merrill's class -- thank you Christie!) I'm trying to experiment and see what the fuss is about. I do have a Facebook account (you're all welcome to join -- I just don't know how to invite you!). I have yet to add an original comment. Still mesmerized by the "gotta go" comments as in "BRB -- gotta pee." I am adding to my Linked-In network and can see some possibilities there.

Long ago and far away, dinosaur era, I joined a few communities of practice discussion groups. Would love to revisit, but for now, my community of students is pretty large and I invest a good bit of my time there.

next blog will address leader or follower or something else .... PREVIEW: something else!

No comments:

Post a Comment