Sunday, July 5, 2009

Week 1 -- expectations

discuss what you hope to get out of this class

Hmmmm. Already getting more than I bargained for! So many tools, so little time. So many powerful examples, so very much to learn.

What I hope to get out of the course is exposure to new tools, new life (2nd Life?), new civilizations, courage and confidence to boldly go where I have never gone before.... (any Trekkies in attendance? The new Star Trek movie is phenomenal! I went in quite skeptical and just loved it!) [Gina -- aren't you proud of me?!? Learning and applying here!]

I think this course will greatly exceed my expectations and aspirations.

While I am beginning to appreciate the simple stuff of ordinary life, I am also sensitive to vulnerability and transparency. While I am primarily interested in applications for professional use, I see enormous potential for personal connections. I'm still sorting out how the two personas merge in these very public private interactions. I suppose I'm still sorting out if there even are separate personas -- or merely different conventions for socially acceptable behaviors.

Is it a question of how to be all things to all people or a commitment to thine ownself be true?

Next week: concept of produsage
PREVIEW: Whassat?

2 comments:

  1. Huzzah! :) One thing you do REALLY WELL is ask questions in your blog posts. That was hard for me to start doing, and I still don't do it all the time. See you are teaching me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, balancing personal and professional personas. It's not the easiest thing to do, and many people have personal policies born out of either paranoia (in which case they may be overly limiting themselves) or experiences in which they got burned (learning the hard way). Neither is optimal. I've studied this with regards to bloggers and it's really interesting to see how people want, to some degree, to be able to explore the space between personal and professional, even if it is a somewhat scary proposition too.

    ReplyDelete